Thursday, February 01, 2007

Straight Shooter

Load up your guns because Obi's opening up 2007 with a blast as he awaits for the new Dark Angels codex!

Basic information:
Randell "Obi" Parcon, March 7 1981

RHGC: How did you get into miniature wargaming?
Obi: I wrote for Seeker magazine for card games, particularly Magic: The Gathering and Spycraft. Like most of us, I was originally a cardflopper. I read about Warhammer during my stint with them. Coincidentally, I was chatting with an Australian friend. His avatar was a Dreadnought. I asked about it and the rest is history.

R: What kind of Dread was it? More to the point, what model did you see that got you hooked?
O: He's a Salamanders player. By that time, I was a regular at Hobby Haven. Chico's Space Marines were always on display there. I fell in love with the army as a whole. That's why I picked Space Marines as my first army (40K my first gaming system).

R: How long have you been in the hobby?
O: I started buying stuff around August of 2004. But my first game wasn't until October of the same year. I started almost the same time as Jacob (Jacob Reynoso).

R: What miniature wargames do you play and what armies do you currently own?
O: In 40K, I of course got a Dark Angels army. Right now, it's about 2,500 points of Space Marine goodness! I also have a 1000-point army for Dark Eldar, plus some 1000-points worth of unassembled Tau. In WFB, I have at least 2,500 points worth of Orcs & Goblins, all of which are handed down by Garr (Garrick Lee). Of course, in WARMACHINE, I have 750 points in the Royal Cygnaran Army contingent. Lahat pogi! (All of them pretty!)



R: What was the first thing you bought for the hobby and where? And who was the staff then?
O: I got a box of Space Marines combat squad from Neutral Grounds Makati. Sharon was working the counter that time. She's cool to talk to regarding the hobby despite the fact she doesn't play. You can't talk to her about the technical specs and jujus of the game though but at least she's informed on what's hot and what's not.

R: Why did you pick DA, O&G and Cygnar?
O: I like the mystery behind the Dark Angels. Their cloaks appeal to me, too; reminds me of the Jedi Knights in fact. Orcs and Gobbos because they're very characteristic as an army... and funny! I see my "wacky" side in them. I originally intended to have a Space Orkz army after Dark Angels but since their codex hasn't had a revamp for 12 years now, I didn't find it feasible then. So I'd rather try them on WFB. With Cygnar, I like the fluff of the fallen King. I like the royalty background and their expertise on wizardry. I picked Sebastian Nemo as warcaster because he's brilliant in a queer way. Me digs!

R: Any future plans for a new army, whatever game system?
O: For 40K, my Tau figs are next in line. As for WARMACHINE, my current army is a themed Cygnaran list which I really didn't care to crunch or think about tactically. So my plan is to create a competitive list for HORDE's Circle of Orboros someday. I'm just waiting for Evolution to come out. My O&G are pretty solid as it is. I got a sweet deal for it since the whole lot has everything I need. I just tossed in a Giant and some Night Gobbos from the Skull Pass box. Besides that, I have no interest to start with other game systems other than Warhammer and WARMACHINE.



R: What other stuff besides miniature wargaming are you into?
O: Currently, I'm so into Airsoft. I found the "balance" there. So that it's not only a mental hobby I'm in to. Kung baga may "geekside of the Force" tas may "jockside of the Force" din. I also play basketball weekly with officemates, twice a month I have badminton, then there's also some trekking and mountain climbing. In real life, I'm a QA Test Engineer. We basically check our programmers' work if they fit what the business analysts and clients have in mind for their software. Another way to say it is that we're software tinkerers and programmer bullies. I currently lead a team of four, and we're still expanding.

R: Fave model in your armies?
O: I still like the Dreadnought that I put together, the one with stuff inside it. It's actually already finished but I still keep putting stuff on it. That makes it a continuous work in progress actually. My latest add-on for it is a Dark Angels insignia I got from Forgeworld.

R: In your years of gaming, what awards and achievements in the hobby have you already won?
O: None that I can think of. I'm still looking for my first one. Hopefully, in the near future.

R: How often do you paint and/or play?
O: I regularly play at least once a week. We actually started the weekday gaming again at Romy's office in Makati recently. We used to play every Saturday in UP last year for WARMACHINE, but lately I'm in Warhammer mode because of the upcoming Dark Angels codex revamp. That's why if I do get to play in the coming Saturdays, I'll be playing 40K. On painting my figs, I see to it that I at least have 2 hours a day to work on my minis. only able to squeeze in some time after going home from the office.

R: Fave babe?
O: It'll sound geeky but I like the Serra Angel. She was the MTG icon for hotness back then. But nothing beats Katrina Halili. She's the ultimate babe in my eyes, and nothing's gonna change that!

For more on Obi, check out his Obi Macapuno and Obi's Playground. He's ObiXVI on RHGC and Zizzling Zizig on RHGC+.

No comments: